Overlay Metrology Systems
|Archer 600||Archer 500 LCM||Archer 500|
The Archer™ 600 is a high performance optical overlay metrology system that serves as an independent source of overlay metrology data for advanced patterning processes at the 1Xnm design nodes. With enhanced imaging-based measurement technology that incorporates a new process resilient target design and improved optical systems, the Archer 600 provides best-in-class overlay control with excellent device matching for the broadest range of process layers in high volume manufacturing and leading-edge development. The Archer 600 optical overlay metrology system supports a diverse range of overlay measurement target designs, including new process-resilient ProAIM™ targets and multi-layer targets, enabling accurate overlay error measurement for different process layers, device types, design nodes and patterning technologies.
- Production-proven imaging-based measurement module includes multiple innovations that support overlay measurement on advanced IC devices, including:
- Process resilient ProAIM™ targets that closely match device behavior
- Multi-layer targets for measuring all possible combinations of layer-to-layer and within-layer overlay data from the same target image
- Multiple color filters and polarization modes enable optimal performance for every process layer with significant measurement noise reduction
- Automatic recipe optimization (ARO) reduces recipe setup time to a minimum while automatically selecting the best configuration
- Multiple process monitoring and measurement quality flags help in selecting the most robust recipes and in reducing the noise level by removing bad measurement sites
- Archer Self Calibration (ASC) enables calculation of calibrated overlay without additional measurement time to account for target inaccuracies
- Device Correlated Metrology (DCM) provides calibration of production measurements to account for differences in device and target overlay values
- Multiple illumination options enable overlay measurement capability on a wide range of lithography layers, including challenging thick resist stacks and opaque hard masks
- Reduced MAM (Move-Acquire-Measurement) time for most process layers significantly increases tool throughput and reduces system cost of ownership
- Seamless integration with 5D Analyzer®, an advanced data analysis system, provides immediate feedback on the quality of the lithography process and real-time data for scanner corrections
- Connectivity with Recipe Database Manager (RDM), a centralized database of production-proven recipe components, improves fab productivity by reducing setup time and increasing the reliability of measurement recipes
- A shared user interface with previous-generation Archer models reduces operator training time, enabling fast production integration
- Extendible platform protects a fab’s capital investment
- Advanced overlay metrology capability provides a key component for KLA-Tencor’s 5D Patterning Control Solution™, which drives optimal patterning through the characterization, optimization and monitoring of fab-wide processes
Multi-Patterning Technologies: The implementation of complex multi-patterning technologies reduces the tolerable overlay error to just a few nanometers at the 1Xnm design nodes. The Archer 600’s overlay measurement capability provides the Total Measurement Uncertainty (TMU) and accuracy needed to assess overlay performance on multi-patterning layers. Using the innovative multi-layer target, numerous combinations of layer-to-layer and intra-layer overlay data can be obtained from the same target image, requiring less measurement time and less die real estate than standard overlay targets.
In-line Monitoring: For high volume manufacturing, the Archer 600's fast measurement speed and ProAIM™ targets produce high precision measurements, enabling quick identification of wafers with overlay error. In addition, with a wide spectral range, polarization capabilities, quality metrics and improved throughput, the Archer 600 optical overlay metrology system enables overlay measurements on a wide range of device types and process layers associated with 1Xnm device integration schemes. The overlay error data collected during production is seamlessly integrated with the 5D Analyzer analysis system to help lithographers accurately disposition wafers, reduce unnecessary wafer rework, and minimize the cycle time required to address variations in lithography tool performance. Innovative quality flags identify process changes at run time and enable fast process monitoring and excursion prevention.
Scanner Qualification: The Archer 600 optical overlay metrology system provides the high performance overlay measurement capability required to qualify scanners to improve patterning accuracy on advanced design node devices. With fast measurement speed and the use of ProAIM targets, the Archer 600 overlay metrology system can take more measurements across the wafer with higher accuracy, generating the data required to instruct the scanner to make complex, higher-order corrections. These higher-order corrections are required to manage the tighter overlay tolerances encountered at advanced design nodes.
Archer 500LCM: Dual imaging- and scatterometry-based measurement modules provide high performance and cost-effective characterization of overlay error for advanced processes at the 2Xnm/1Xnm design nodes.
For other overlay metrology systems, please see K-T Certified.