The eDR7280™ electron-beam (e-beam) wafer defect review and wafer classification system captures high resolution images of defects in order to produce an accurate representation of the defect population on a wafer. Utilizing fifth-generation e-beam immersion optics and Real-Time Automatic Defect Classification (RT-ADC 2.0) capability, the eDR7280 defect review system delivers the performance required to re-locate, image and classify yield-critical defects for leading-edge design nodes. The eDR7280 also features higher throughput that the eDR-7110, enabling increased defect sampling for a more accurate defect Pareto, accelerated defect discovery and sourcing, and faster time to resolve yield issues. In addition to being able to accurately identify and source defects detected by the most advanced wafer defect inspection systems, the eDR7280 automatic defect review and classification system features several innovative applications that address a broad range of fab use cases, including critical point inspection (CPI), reticle defect review, unpatterned wafer defect review and process window qualification.
- Fifth-generation e-beam immersion optics and high resolution stage produce the performance required to support defect imaging and classification of defects at the 1Xnm design node
- New detector and high resolution energy filter provide greatly improved trench imaging, facilitating review of defects in trenches or holes, a capability critical for supporting production of complex IC structures such as FinFETs
- New high landing energy operating mode and new energy filter enable imaging of defects located in high aspect ratio structures or buried structures
- Additional imaging enhancements, new algorithms and mixed mode produce better topography, uniformity and material contrast for better defect imaging across a range of process layers and device structures
- Advanced stage, higher beam current and advanced imaging capabilities enable ~1.3x increase in patterned wafer defect review speed or ~1.6x increase in bare wafer review speed compared to the eDR-7110 defect review system, permitting collection of a larger review sample in the same amount of time for a more accurate representation of the defect population on the wafer
- Real-Time Automatic Defect Classification (RT-ADC 2.0) can accurately classify defects during production and can be used during development to reduce the time required for defect discovery
- RT-ADC 2.0 also implements one-click classifiers, providing 5x faster setup
- Unique Real-Time Multi-Mode Imaging capability uses Real-Time Automatic Defect Classification results to automatically trigger additional in-line tests, such as compositional analysis, while the wafer is still on the eDR7280, enhancing the quality of the defect information
- Unique bare wafer review solution utilizes auto-deskew, a new laser optical microscope and a new energy-dispersive x-ray (EDX) subsystem to produce accurate and efficient SEM review of KLA-Tencor’s unpatterned wafer inspection results during production
- Critical Point Inspection (CPI) capability allows wafer defect monitoring of known hot spots – locations where the chip design is less robust to process variation – at a very high magnification, providing R&D engineers with better information on critical patterns
- Field upgrade from the eDR-7110 and extendible architecture protect a fab’s capital investment
Defect Imaging: The smallest yield-relevant defects are beyond the resolution limits of optical microscopy; therefore electron-beam imaging is essential to capturing an image detailed enough for defect classification. Effective image capture on the e-beam review tool begins with reliable and efficient re-detection of the defect. The eDR7280 defect review and classification system features high stage accuracy that increases the defect re-detection rate. In addition, the eDR7280’s exceptional image quality is built upon fifth-generation immersion optics, collector innovations, simultaneous top-down and topographic imaging, and advanced algorithms. The eDR7280 e-beam review tool is capable of re-locating and imaging the most challenging defect types at advanced design nodes, including sub-10nm defects or defects located at the bottom of a deep trench or hole. By resolving these challenging defect types, the eDR7280 e-beam review system produces defect Paretos with a much lower percentage of SEM non-visual defects and a higher percentage of defects of interest.
Wafer Defect Classification System: Accurate, automatic defect classification is essential to identifying the source of the defect and addressing the issue in a timely manner. In addition to providing the sensitivity required to resolve yield-critical defects on advanced design node devices, the eDR7280 defect classification system features high throughput, enabling increased review sampling for a more accurate representation of the defect population on the wafer. Real-Time Automatic Defect Classification (RT-ADC 2.0) is used to accurately classify defects, helping speed defect sourcing. In addition, Real-Time Multi-Mode Imaging uses the results from RT-ADC 2.0 to automatically trigger additional in-line tests such as imaging with alternative modes or compositional analysis using energy-dispersive x-ray (EDX), to produce complete defect information. By providing better quality images, a higher quantity of review data and accurate classification of defects, the eDR7280 e-beam review and defect classification system delivers a more accurate defect Pareto, accelerating defect sourcing and yield.
Bare Wafer OQC / IQC: The automated bare wafer review solution provided by the eDR7280 e-beam review and classification system utilizes a new, high sensitivity laser optical microscope for re-detection, high resolution SEM imaging, automated defect binning, and improved energy-dispersive x-ray (EDX) capability. Furthermore, the eDR7280 defect review and classification system fully supports the review needs of the Surfscan SP5XP – providing fast and accurate defect imaging and classification of ≤20nm bare wafer defects. This auto bare wafer review solution is used for effective sourcing of bare, blanket film and monitor wafer defect issues during development and production for wafer manufacturers – and ensures incoming wafer quality at IC fabs.
Wafer Dispositioning after Reticle Defect Detection: Innovative Reticle Defect Review (RDR) mode allows significantly simplified, accelerated review of potential reticle-induced defect sites. A statistically significant number of die can be visited, which allows more accurate wafer dispositioning.
Incoming Reticle Quality Inspection: The simplicity and speed of RDR mode facilitate the ability to check printability of reticle defects across the process window.
Lithography Qualification: The eDR7280 defect review and classification system can help map and monitor the process window in the lithography module, through full support of process window qualification (PWQ), focus-exposure matrix (FEM) and other standard techniques. The eDR7280’s high throughput and support of PWQ 3.0 produce significantly faster process window qualification per layer.
Inspector Recipe Optimization: Design-aware capability and the seamless connectivity between the eDR7280 defect review system and KLA-Tencor’s optical patterned wafer inspectors reduce recipe set up time by ~50%; produce higher quality inspection recipes and results; and enable improved productivity.