Unpatterned Wafer Surface Inspection Systems
Available in 450mm, 300mm, and 300mm/450mm bridge tool configurations, the Surfscan® SP3 unpatterned wafer inspection tool utilizes deep ultra-violet (DUV) sensitivity and a throughput up to three times that of its predecessor to reliably detect critical defects and surface quality issues for IC, OEM and substrate manufacturing at the 2Xnm design node. The Surfscan SP3 can provide higher sensitivity on bare wafers and blanket films than that of the previous-generation Surfscan SP2/SP2XP. Alternatively, the Surfscan SP3 can operate at a sensitivity similar to that of the Surfscan SP2/SP2XP, but much higher throughput, enabling increased sampling for a lower cost of ownership. The tool also includes an integrated, high resolution SURFmonitor module that characterizes and measures surface quality, helping wafer manufacturers deliver substrates with superior surface quality and chipmakers measure surface roughness and detect subtle defects.
- Powerful DUV source, DUV-optimized optics and algorithm improvements deliver sensitivity to defects as small as 26nm on prime wafers
- DUV-specific optical apertures enhance defect signal on films for a sensitivity improvement of up to 50% over the previous-generation Surfscan SP2/SP2XP
- A new stage, image computer, and optics produce significant throughput enhancements compared to the Surfscan SP2/SP2XP for fast defect sourcing and wafer dispositioning
- Integrated, high-resolution SURFmonitor enables characterization of surface quality, including measurement of surface roughness and capture of ultra-fine slip lines and scratches
- Full-wafer, calibrated, high resolution haze maps allow potential correlation to atomic force microscope (AFM) surface roughness measurements and other process parameters
- A brightfield differential interference contrast (DIC) optical mode enables detection and classification of critical defects such as Large Light Point Defects (LLPD)
- A backside inspection module (BSIM) provides detection of critical wafer backside defects that can cause yield-impacting defocus issues in the lithography cell (300mm only)
- Enhanced coordinate accuracy and optimized coordinate exchange with KLA-Tencor’s e-beam review tools improves defect redetection for better classification and sourcing
- Correlation of Surfscan SP3 to Surfscan SP2 and SP2XP baselines enhances fleet flexibility
- Reliable, extendible architecture protects a fab’s capital investment
- Flexible configurations allow inspection of 300mm and 450mm wafers on the same system, at nearly the same footprint as the 300mm-only tool
Integrated SURFmonitor is a defect/metrology module that utilizes background scattering (haze) data from Surfscan SP3 scans to monitor process signatures and low contrast defects, without affecting inspection throughput. SURFmonitor can correlate haze to process parameters such as surface roughness and grain size, serving as a high speed, full-wafer metrology proxy for bare wafers and blanket films.
For more information on Surfscan SP5 edge-handling capability, please fill out our inquiry form.
Inline Process Control: Defects that can form during wafer processing (i.e. polish marks, crystalline pits, terracing, voids) can affect the performance of IC devices. Identifying these defects early in the manufacturing process enables improved substrate quality and higher yield. The Surfscan SP3 has the sensitivity and throughput to reliability detect critical defects and surface quality issues inline, helping wafer manufacturers produce the top-grade substrates required for 2Xnm IC devices.
Final Wafer Qualification: The Surfscan SP3 can be used by wafer manufacturers for final qualification of traditional and engineered substrates. While the high throughput of the Surfscan SP3 provides increased productivity for final wafer check, the inspector’s high sensitivity ensures that the wafers meet IC manufacturers’ strict quality specifications.
For information on the Surfscan SP5 inspection system available for IC chip manufacturing and OEMs, please see: Surfscan Series – Front-End Defect Inspection.
For other unpatterned wafer defect inspection tools, please see K-T Certified
- < 30nm: Beyond the Leading Edge of Defect Sensitivity
- High-Speed, Full-Wafer Microroughness
- Separating Crystal Defects from Particles
- Study of Relationship between 300 mm Si Wafer Surface and Annealing Temperatures(YMS, Issue 2, 2010)
- Detection of Photo Resist Residue on Advanced Gate Layers (YMS, Issue 1, 2010)
- A Novel Method of Characterizing Post-laser Anneal Surface Conditions (YMS, Issue 1, 2008)
- A New Approach to Identifying Large, Yield-Impacting Defects on Polished Si Wafers(YMS, Summer 2007)
- Enabling Manufacturing Productivity Improvement and Test Wafer Cost Reduction (YMS, Summer 2007)
- Unpatterned Wafer Inspection for Immersion Lithography Defectivity (YMS, Spring 2007)
- Generating High-Speed, Full-Wafer Maps of Surface Microroughness (YMS, Summer 2006)