Unpatterned Wafer Surface Inspection Systems
|Surfscan SP5XP||Surfscan SP5||Surfscan SP3|
The Surfscan® SP5XP unpatterned wafer inspection system is a platform extension of the Surfscan SP5, enabling lower cost of ownership for 1Xnm design rule High Volume Manufacturing (HVM). The Surfscan SP5XP can operate at sensitivity similar to that of the Surfscan SP5, but at much higher throughput, enabling increased sampling for a lower cost of ownership. Additionally, the Surfscan SP5XP provides higher available sensitivity on bare wafers and blanket films than that of the previous-generation Surfscan SP5, delivering the inspection performance required for IC manufacturers to qualify processes during R&D. The Surfscan inspector also includes an integrated, high resolution SURFmonitor module that characterizes and measures surface quality, helping IC modules qualify their process and tools by characterizing wafer surface quality and detecting subtle defects.
- Powerful DUV source, incident laser innovations, new spot sizes and improved algorithms deliver sub-20nm sensitivity, increased throughput and enhanced defect detection and classification
- Platform improvements produce the highest throughput-to-date on the Surfscan platform
- Dual Threshold operates without throughput loss, allowing fabs to maintain their baseline while investigating the possible presence of new defect types and signatures
- Attenuated Continuous Laser Power Attenuation (ACLPA) feature enables variable laser power in a single scan, allowing the system to maintain sensitivity without throughput loss
- Laser power dosage test wizard enables faster recipe setup on laser power sensitive layers
- New and improved algorithms enable enhanced signature detection and classification with no baseline change and no throughput loss
- Matching between Surfscan SP5XP tools improves factory productivity by providing fabs with the option of routing WIP to different Surfscan SP5XP inspection tools to optimize work flow
- Correlation of Surfscan SP5XP to Surfscan SP5 and SP3 baselines enhances fleet flexibility, allowing fabs to mix-and-match tools based on their unique sensitivity and throughput requirements
- Field upgradeable from the Surfscan SP5 protects a fab’s capital investment
- Flexible configurations support the specific performance requirements of different end-users
Integrated SURFmonitor is a defect/metrology module that utilizes background scattering (haze) data from Surfscan SP5XP scans to monitor process signatures and low contrast haze defects, without affecting inspection throughput. SURFmonitor can correlate haze defects to process parameters such as surface roughness and grain size, serving as a high speed, full-wafer metrology proxy for bare wafers and blanket films.
Process Tool Monitoring: Within the IC fab, the Surfscan SP5XP is used for qualification and monitoring of process tools for the 1Xnm design node HVM. The extended DUV sensitivity captures tiny blanket film defects at production speeds, enabling engineers to monitor process tools for defects that may be introduced during film deposition or CMP.
R&D: The high sensitivity operating mode on the Surfscan SP5XP supports characterization and qualification of new processes during the R&D phase of IC manufacturing. With strong connectivity, the Surfscan SP5XP and KLA-Tencor's e-beam review tool provide development engineers with a solution for quickly finding, identifying and sourcing critical defects on leading-edge processes.
Incoming Wafer Qualification: The extended DUV sensitivity of the Surfscan SP5XP helps IC manufacturers ensure that incoming wafers meet their strict quality specifications.
Process tool qualification: Defects added by the tool during processing, such as fall-on particles or metal contamination, can adversely affect wafer yield or device performance. Certain process steps like polishing can worsen the wafer surface quality and create anomalous process defect signatures that may render the wafer unsuitable for further processing. Early detection and classification of these subtle conditions is critical to ensure optimal yield. The Surfscan SP5XP's extended DUV sensitivity and high-resolution SURFimages provide key information, enabling equipment vendors to build reliable, production-worthy process tools.
Process uniformity monitor: The full-wafer high-resolution SURFimage represents the variations of the wafer surface quality in response to changes in process chemistries or recipes, enabling process optimization and production monitoring. Dark field haze calibration ensures that the haze defect readings are accurate and repeatable across tools.
For information on Surfscan systems available for substrate manufacturing, please see: Surfscan Series - Wafer Manufacturing
Surfscan SP5: Unpatterned wafer surface inspection system with DUV sensitivity and high throughput for IC and substrate manufacturing at the 2X/1Xnm design node.
Surfscan SP3: Unpatterned wafer inspection system with DUV sensitivity and high throughput for IC and substrate manufacturing at the 2Xnm design node. Available in 300mm, 450mm and 300mm/450mm bridge tool configurations.
For other unpatterned wafer defect inspection tools, please see K-T Certified.
- < 30nm: Beyond the Leading Edge of Defect Sensitivity
- High-Speed, Full-Wafer Microroughness
- Separating Crystal Defects from Particles
- Study of Relationship between 300 mm Si Wafer Surface and Annealing Temperatures (YMS, Issue 2, 2010)
- Detection of Photo Resist Residue on Advanced Gate Layers (YMS, Issue 1, 2010)
- A Novel Method of Characterizing Post-laser Anneal Surface Conditions (YMS, Issue 1, 2008)
- A New Approach to Identifying Large, Yield-Impacting Defects on Polished Si Wafers (YMS, Summer 2007)
- Enabling Manufacturing Productivity Improvement and Test Wafer Cost Reduction (YMS, Summer 2007)
- Unpatterned Wafer Inspection for Immersion Lithography Defectivity (YMS, Spring 2007)
- Generating High-Speed, Full-Wafer Maps of Surface Microroughness (YMS, Summer 2006)